About this blog

This blog chronicles Mihai's adventures in building and sailing boats.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Building the skerry day 6: Sailing kit, cutting gains, gluing panels

Today was a busy skerry building day.

Started by going to Annapolis to get the sailing kit. Had a wonderful helper so all went quite well, the only hitch being that CLC did not have the sail itself. Hopefully they'll mail it to me so I won't have to take another trip to Annapolis.



Then I got to cut the gains (tapered rabbets) at the ends of the panels. These are needed to make the bow and stern of the boat flat (the chines don't show up there). I used a rabbet plane that we bought at a yard sale in Normandy. The poor plane needed quite a bit of work to get the rust off and clean up the edge. As I was cutting the rabbets I also realized that the shoe of the plane was uneven. I cleaned it off with one of my other planes and it magically started to work well again. The gains were quite a breeze to cut once I got the hang of it.





Finally got around to gluing the panels together. No rain forecast for the next few days, though it did shower right as I was gluing which led me to frantically run around looking for stuff to cover the planks with. The process was pretty painful as the puzzle joints take quite a bit of fiddling to get together, then lots of pounding to get everything lined up. Good thing I checked - a few of the panels were mis-aligned (i.e., the left and right parts were not quite identical) at the joint and I quickly rearranged them before the glue had fully set. The sanding pain starts tomorrow.



Time: 3 hours (trip to Annapolis), 1 hour (cutting gains), 2 hours (gluing)
Total: 19 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment