About this blog

This blog chronicles Mihai's adventures in building and sailing boats.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Skerry build Day 1: Prep work

The weather hasn't cooperated and I still can't get out and start gluing. After reading the manual the requisite 2-3 times I've started doing some of the prep work to save me time later on. The plan is to:
  • build dagger board trunk
  • laminate skeg
  • epoxy the seats
  • shape the breasthooks (round over the edges)
Today I had some time and managed to shape the breasthooks, clean up the edges of the seats and frames (they have quite a few 'tabs' left on from the CNC cutting machine), and cut out the holes for the inspection ports in the forward and aft frames.

The breasthooks were a breeze on a router table with a roundover bit - if you don't have a router table I strongly encourage you to get/build one. I recently attached one to my table saw and I now can't imagine how I ever worked without one.





Cutting the inspection port holes was easy enough - CLC has pre-cut the first few plies in the wood so it's easy to follow their template using a jigsaw. I spent a fair amount of time sanding down the edges using a sanding drum on my cordless drill. A drum sander, or in the very least a corded drill, would make this job a lot easier.


Time: 1.5 hours
Total: 4.5 h

No comments:

Post a Comment