About this blog

This blog chronicles Mihai's adventures in building and sailing boats.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Skerry build day 8:stitching

Today is the big day. Finally started stitching the hull. All went well for a while - the #1 panels went in quite easily. The frames were a bit of a challenge as I forgot to pre-drill the bottom panel. Doing it after the fact is a bit painful given that you have to push quite hard to get the frames into place. A second pair of hands would have been useful but I used a simple trick: I made the wires much longer for the middle frame and slowly pushed down, tightened the stitch, pushed down a bit more, etc... until it all went into place quite nicely.







I started doing the port side of the # 2 panel but ran into a problem While the bow is flush with the # 1 panel, the stern is about 0.5" too short.. Not quite sure how that happened. I called CLC and they suggest I use a mallet to bring the panel a bit to the stern (probably need to loosen the stitches a bit). It should be OK if the ends are not fully aligned given that I will be filing them down flat then rounding them over later on in the process. I'll give it a try in the evening and see how it goes.



Time: 3 hours (panel 1 both sides, panel 2 port, frames)2 hours (fiddling with the port side panel 2 and attaching the starboard side as well)
Total: 28 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment