About this blog

This blog chronicles Mihai's adventures in building and sailing boats.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Skerry build day 49: 2 more coats of paint

Hurray, painting is done.. I hope. This morning and evening I added two more coats of paint. I carefully wiped down the previous coat with denatured alcohol then added one more. Before the third coat I sanded a few of the roughest spots. I decided against a full sand of the whole hull to save a bit of time. I'm sure the hull would look better if sanded more but the difference is minimal given the amount of time I would have to spend. I ran out of paint quickly so the last layer (especially on panels 2 and 3) is quite thin. I must have put too much paint on earlier in the process. In any case, the skerry is fairly big so I'd go for two pints of paint (1.5 would actually be enough).

Next step - more painful sanding, then varnish at last. Keeping my fingers crossed for a possible launch this coming weekend.

Time: 3 hours
Total: 143 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment