About this blog

This blog chronicles Mihai's adventures in building and sailing boats.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Skerry build day 48: 6 hours of sanding...by hand

Today I sanded the primer and what an adventure it was. I figured I'd do it by hand to minimize errors and just make sure everything is nice and smooth. The process was quite painful, probably because the primer was not fully cured on all parts of the boat (despite being 24+ hours since I put it on). The sandpaper would quickly fill up and so I spend a lot of time cleaning it off. I'll be sore tomorrow.

At some point I decided enough is enough. I could make this $#!*$ thing look a lot better, but it will float and sail even if I don't. So...on to the next step: paint at last.

One coat went down quite well - took ~1 hour to paint the hole hull (roller followed by brush for chines and occasional tipping of bubbles).

And here's the outcome (hull 1 coat, rudder head is on coat 3):







Time: 7 hours
Total: 140 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment